There were many goals when designing Katabatic Gear’s ultralight hiking backpacks. Our overarching mindset, however, was that hikers should be able to carry a lightweight backpack that is comfortable, useful, durable, and maybe even a little good looking. So, we started brainstorming on how we could retain those useful features that are usually stripped from lightweight climbing and backpacking backpacks, but keep the weight around two pounds (or less!). Through thoughtful and innovative design, and the use of highly advanced materials, we think we have designed some of the best alpine climbing and backpacking backpacks available for sale today.
Katabatic Gear ultralight hiking backpacks feature:
- Perforated and ribbed backpanel provides excellent airflow, while the second layer supports the load without sacrificing total pack weight. The removable aluminum stay provides extra support for heavier loads.
- Roll top closures and compression straps help this versatile bag carry beautifully, whether you’ve just picked up a 10 day resupply, or are nibbling on your last bit of snickers bar before heading into town.
- Large stretch woven hipbelt pockets with inner key clip.
- Durable stretch panels in front and side pockets keep the pockets low profile when empty, and expand to accommodate loads. Side pockets fit up to 2L soft-sided water bottles, and are easily accessible while wearing the pack.
- Dual hydration ports with inner hang loop for hydration bladders.
Katabatic Gear’s alpine climbing backpack features:
- Lightweight framesheet is extremely supportive, while remaining flexible enough to not inhibit movement. Using the aluminum stay is great for heavier loads.
- Removable components for weight savings when not being used: aluminum stay, webbing waist belt, compression straps, and ice tool bungee.
- Compression straps that allow for carrying skis, etc.
- Front daisy chain and bungee securely carry ice tools and crampons.
- Zippered inner security pocket with key hook.
- Extension collar expands capacity.
- Padded bottom for increased durability while carrying a climbing rack.
Whether you’re mountaineering or hiking, our ultralight backpacks will have you moving comfortably for years to come.